Pages

Saturday, March 20, 2021

25 Oh, take your time, don't live too fast Part 6

To this day one of the most otherworldly things I have ever encountered in human behavior, was the reaction of some of the girls to my "boyfriend." He was up at the drug treatment maybe 4 days a week, then on Friday he'd be back in town. One of his friends would drop him at the school to wait for me.

Didn't look like this, but waited at the high school

Yeah. Don't think this would go over now, huh? Him with his muscles and fringe jacket. There was a thing the heads called the "cubby hole" on the side of the school. Drugs were dealt and consumed there. Yes, teachers knew. I know for a fact which ones got high and even dropped acid. Many were flipped out themselves.

I was like a hero to the cubby hole kids. "You're like the biggest head in school and you're in the National Honor Society. Groovy."

Some Student Government. South Shore Style
Cubby Hole Kid that graduated





Well, there was a ledge that many of us would sit on. My "man friend" sat there and waited for me. Then I'd sit on his lap for a while before we wandered off. After that the cubby hole girls behaved strangely.

Henceforth, as I walked the cubby hole aisle I felt as though I was walking the glorious path of a royal queen. The girls looked at me with goo goo eyes. Big and watery. They'd be sitting on the ledge and they'd all lean over one by one and look up at me. "Your boyfriend is cute, S," Your boyfriend is so cute, S." 

You remember that scene in Midnight Cowboy where Joe Buck kept having flashbacks? He'd hear Annie say "It's just you Joe" over & over? That's what it was like. I felt all disoriented. I almost felt dizzy from hearing it too much. It played in my head constantly.


Was I ready for this kind of strange stuff? I wanted to live through all kinds of things, but I wasn't planning on these kind of head games.

No comments:

Post a Comment

20 Oh, take your time, don't live too fast Part 1

This is going to be a story about a personal challenge that I made good on. Now, I may repeat myself on some happenings in these stories. I&...