Pages

Saturday, March 20, 2021

4 We All Had Caught The Same Disease Part 2

I suppose every post will have an afterthought? 

I didn't talk like the Golden Twins all the time. But they did me an immense favor. New York was very tough in the 70s. I wasn't planning on following the expected typical course. I wanted more adventure. I was a bit "too nice" at times. I wasn't stupid but I put myself in situations where I needed to be a "tough cookie." Adventure can be weird sometimes.

Not only that... I didn't want a typical way of earning a living. Of course, like anyone, I had to work at regular jobs. But I wanted a working class, trade job. I romanticized the tough journeys, people that lived tough lives. I read a bit back then & I envisioned a life somewhere between a John Steinbeck and a Herman Hesse novel. Those two. Too bad I hardly remember anything in the books, but the impression that they made on me lasted a lifetime.

Eventually I did work a trade. An honorable trade, thank you. In those days it took skill. Good eye hand coordination & a toughness to get things done under deadline. What could be better than being involved with the printing of books and periodicals. All kinds. Whatever information people needed. Believe me, it was a pretty tough place for a woman. I worked with the prep part of the field. Shooting the camera and stripping the film. I was really, really good at it. I had to be. Between the language & toughness & skill I was respected as a journeyman. You had to get along with people. You couldn't be weak. Everyone worked super hard, so you had to make it fun or it would be miserable. I loved how tough it was. Now they have technology to replace everything that once took a skilled worker.

This is why I thank the Golden twins.


No comments:

Post a Comment

20 Oh, take your time, don't live too fast Part 1

This is going to be a story about a personal challenge that I made good on. Now, I may repeat myself on some happenings in these stories. I&...