Pages

Saturday, March 20, 2021

11 Smile up at the ones who stand and frown Part 2

So I won the "Best Legs in Oceanside" trophy. What did it mean? Not much, especially since Joey Heatherton grew up 5 blocks away. Her and her darn "Merry Mailman" father. So we all know that she won the Long Island trophy. I'm thinking I might have made top five. 🤣 She was never coming for my trophy though, she was already in Hollywood since whenever and dating pro football players. Joey was nearly Rat Pack. I was always more of Louise Lasser's younger sister.

 

Our house was right on the border of Oceanside and Rockville Centre. When you turned the corner the transformation was immediate and spectacular. The houses were old with huge porches that wrapped around its entirety. But that's not what had me in awe though. It was the trees. Huge oak trees everywhere. I don't think direct sunlight hit the ground till fall. The autumn leaves were heaven on earth. People didn't rake them up and throw them in plastic bags like they do now. Left them on the ground and raked them into piles for kids to jump in. Before winter the leaves were raked into the street and burned. Rockville Centre's Catholic Church, St. Agnes, was the center of the diocese and the mean bishop lived there. He wasn't one of my favorite people.

I wanted to mention RC because it was a contrast to where I lived. Cross that border into Oceanside and it was filled with the middle class.We were known as clamdiggers and had plenty of sailors living on the inlets and canals. So therefore, we had the better time. The Rockville Centre kids came to Oceanside for everything. A lot of my friends were from there.

There's actually a story about St. Agnes Cathedral & St. Anthony's Church that might be a bit too much. I'll see if I can tell it. Maybe if you're from Florida or someplace like that you can take it. But it happened and I am going to see a couple of you in hell. You think you know, but you don't. It's probably worse. (But no human or animal was physically harmed. Maybe psychologically.😐)



No comments:

Post a Comment

20 Oh, take your time, don't live too fast Part 1

This is going to be a story about a personal challenge that I made good on. Now, I may repeat myself on some happenings in these stories. I&...