Pages

Saturday, March 20, 2021

3 We All Had Caught The Same Disease

Writing this as kind of a background. On occasion I may find myself in an odd situation. I usually got there because I'd make an observation & I'd say something completely off the wall. People like to be entertained. If the aura was right I may be extremely funny. Or if the night had a light breeze and the moon was right I could say something so scary, in a quiet voice, your timbers would shiver. 😀 Or maybe it would be something about our souls and God and the devil and things like that. Or filth. The filth that came out of my mouth.

Where was that from? I don't know. Maybe because I read Lady Chatterley's Lover when I was 13. I grew up around sailors. Heredity. But mostly from the Golden twins. I won't give you their first names because they'd probably sue. That's the direction they took. I'd visit their house and I'd go into their room for a while. They'd talk about filthy things they did in the most vile language you ever heard. But I really liked their parents, better than B & L. I'd go downstairs & sit at the kitchen table with the Dad. He hardly ever looked up from his newspaper but he talked about what was going on in the world with me. The Mom would make matzo brie for me. I loved it. They'd say "S. I wish you'd come over more often." All they really knew was that I was in National Honor Society. I had a habit of showing up at different houses, different types of people just to eat dinner. My poor mother made dinner but I just liked to try new things. I love the differences in people. "Oh hello. Can I eat dinner here?"

This was Long Island in the late 60's, early 70's. You've seen the movies. I lived not far from where Sonny was shot on the Causeway. I'd cut school with the other school cutters & take the LIRR to Rockaway's Playland. Or I'd go to Nathan's or the boardwalk in Long Beach. And worse.

Why am I writing this, I don't know. I'm thinking they'll be historical re-enacters in the future that may enjoy some of this. But this is really why... because I have to warn people that I may be offensive? Isn't that stupid, that I think I even have to say that. When did it start to change? I'm not sure, but it seems like the late 90's. Everybody had to start being less offensive. 😑😑😑

At the greatest job in the world, I'll explain sometime later, I had a boss that came up to me one afternoon and said "Do you really do the things that you talk about?" He was red and his eyes were glazed. I had no answer for him. It was so funny. Really funny. At the next Christmas party some people heard some weird noises & went out to his vehicle with a flashlight. It was him with the receptionist in the back seat. It really was a great job. What do people have at work now? Why would I even write that? Because that's how it was in the world. People got up in the morning, left the house & all that started. Innuendo and more at every turn. In the 7-11, at work, on the phone. Let's see how our minds work. Did you ever see "The Perfect Storm?' The party in the bar before they took off on their fishing trip and their tragic ending. (As a matter of fact, a family member knew that captain.) Kind of like life. I didn't know anyone upset about it. Things might have been crap in the world but they found a way to have fun in their lives.


Ok. Sometimes I could also say something as an observation that was so dark & morbid. People that thought they were dark & morbid would turn and look at me. Where did that come from? Horror movies at a very young age. (Or maybe from my old German Grandmother who held seances.) I think I was about three when I really became addicted. At that time people weren't as numb to gentle spookiness. The experimentation on the Island of Dr. Moreau especially did a number on me. I'll write more on this later, but while other kids were playing on Saturday, my pupils would get big & I'd sit in front of the black & white TV and watch WPIX. Classic old horror. There was always a zombie movie on in the afternoon. REAL zombies made by voodoo, nothing else. And I'd top it off with the Bowery Boys, that's where I learned how to properly speak.

My Top 3



I wish we could communicate as well nowadays

I don't know... it seems so self indulgent to write these things. But I know of a lot of people that have packed some of this stuff away. Maybe if we weren't holding back so much, because we've reverted to some type of new Victorian era, everyone would feel a little better. Why am I apologizing?




No comments:

Post a Comment

20 Oh, take your time, don't live too fast Part 1

This is going to be a story about a personal challenge that I made good on. Now, I may repeat myself on some happenings in these stories. I&...