Pages

Saturday, August 7, 2021

53 You better duck down the alley way part 2

So did I listen to the old drunk? I never paid him no mind about the blue eye warning. Matter/Anti Matter to my pools of mud. Just always remembered his screaming blue eyes yelling me a warning.

To this day I think there was something up with our Toronto hosts. Who knows. Maybe it was any number of things, but still. Maybe they helped out draft dodgers. But, it was something.

So the second night we were there we ate something and talked a little bit about the day. I will always come away from that as it being so strange. They welcomed us but were so quiet.

Toronto. 1970's.

"Hey, we're going to see a new movie. Fritz the Cat. You want to go along?" "Oh yeah. I've heard of that. Yeah." I don't remember them having an accent of any kind, but I didn't think I did either. If you heard me you might think I had pebbles in my mouth.

We walked to the theater with them. I don't think it was too far away. They met up with a very small group and it was understood that we were a little off on our own there. They hung with their friends and we sat behind them.

Not the theater

Back in 1972 smoking was everywhere, including movie theaters. Toronto was pretty similar to New York. People whipped out their weed. They kept passing the joints back so we all got wasted. I think everyone in the theater was wasted. A lot of laughing going on. Rip roaring laughter. Almost psychotic.

Times have really changed a lot with what is shocking in movies and TV. Things starting changing a little before then. An X rating for a cartoon. But there was a lot of sex and drugs in the movie, from what I remember. I only saw it the once. I have a better memory of Midnight Cowboy when it came out. I was of sound mind and fake ID. What would that be now? PG-13 maybe? Maybe R.

The guy smiled pretty big through the movie, but the gal was laughing hysterically. I'm glad she let it out once in a while. Got a lot of laughs in that night too. Pretty fun. 

Yonge Street or "Sin Strip." Known for it's exploitation theaters.




2 comments:

20 Oh, take your time, don't live too fast Part 1

This is going to be a story about a personal challenge that I made good on. Now, I may repeat myself on some happenings in these stories. I&...