Pages

Friday, July 9, 2021

47 This is the best part of the trip, this is the trip Part 2

 

So we finally pulled into New Haven. The two up front said something to one another on occasion. I sure as hell couldn't hear anything they were saying. All I could do was deal with the g force of the wind on my hair for an hour. I couldn't possibly give justice to what happened to my hair. It was spun upside down. It was around. Inside out. I should have taken bets on how many knots were snaked around in there. Yeah, Medusa.

Neither us us were ever in New Haven. It's not like we checked it out with plans of going to Yale. We did know it from Peace Frog. Found that extremely cool and probably sang it out loud a couple of times.
 

Jim Morrison was also the first Rock n' Roller arrested mid performance in New Haven. I don't know who the other ones are. 🤔😊


 

I don't remember exactly where we were let off, but we found our way to a park type area. Looked like there were some free spirited types hanging around. We ate peanut butter and jelly. I spent hours pulling, ripping at and brushing my rat's nest of hair. A few tears welled up in my eyes, but they didn't fall. I gathered myself and looked about. It seemed as though everyone was really tame. A few salutations but nothing super friendly. I guess that was the Yale town influence.

We figured... ok, not looking good to find a place to stay or anything. We better move on. Somehow, even though we were headed west we kept getting rides going in the opposite direction. We didn't have a map. None of that electronic stuff, thank God, so we were flying by the seat of our pants.

Got out onto a main road and threw our thumbs out. Next stop Boston. We got there in the early evening. It was still light out. We didn't know where the hell we were. Luckily it was summer and it was still light out. We're walking down the street looking around. There seemed to be a lot of younger people walking around. Making a lot of noise. I also remember distinctly someone walking with a transistor radio. They were holding it up listening to Saturday In The Park by Chicago. Released like five days earlier. Funny what you remember, but that was a weird scene. All the young people milling about. The song. But everyone seemed a little on edge.

So we asked someone what was going on. Well apparently we were dropped off somewhere near the Boston Garden. Lots of concerts were held there in the 70's. Basketball too. This was July 18, 1972. The guy tells us "a Rolling Stones concert." What? "A Rolling Stones concert." We just kind of looked at him. "They were arrested."

I guess the story is that Jagger and Richards got into a scuffle with a photographer in Rhode Island. 

Damn it. I'd say "this sucks" but I really don't think people really used that much then. A little later. We had to get outta there. There was trouble brewing and at this point we needed some sleep and some food. And we didn't need that kind of trouble. We found the entrance to a highway and off we went. We were developing a pattern. Car pulls over. "Where you going?" "California." This time the guy said Vermont. I loved Vermont.

Near Boston Garden. July 18, 1972


2 comments:

  1. Imagine if you did end up in California instead.

    Mick & Keith got into a scuffle with a photographer? I'd expect a kerfuffle seeing how they're college boys. Daltrey would have gone full blood helmet on them.

    BTW is this the origin of the Medusa hair?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes definitely the origin of Medusa hair. It caused a stir. Daltrey would take them all down.
    Keep reading, Freddie.

    ReplyDelete

20 Oh, take your time, don't live too fast Part 1

This is going to be a story about a personal challenge that I made good on. Now, I may repeat myself on some happenings in these stories. I&...