Pages

Monday, June 6, 2022

93 Enjoy your free buffet

Maybe I've mentioned that I had already looked into many different spiritual paths. A lot of people were searching. There were Jesus Freak groups in my hometown. Some looked in churches where they spoke in tongues. I went to one of those with a boy down the block once. I didn't join in on that one. There were lots of young Jews for Jesus in my hometown too. You didn't have to believe the son of God stuff. Just find reverence in his words of love and peace. 

I'm telling you this so you understand why I wasn't all weirded out when we got into the back of that truck. It was kind of fun. People seemed to be as happy as could be. Most were standing in the truck and holding onto the railing of the bed. Singing as we drove.

A tall fella asked if we wanted a sandwich. "Sure, thank you." We each got one. We unwrapped the wax paper. I love wax paper, that's what my sandwiches came in as a kid. You just have to know how to fold it. Opened it up. Hmmm. It was good whole wheat bread. The thick, heavy and healthy kind that doesn't come in a plastic bag at the store. But what was on it? "Lentils." "Lentils?" Beans weren't real big in suburban homes at that time, yeah pork and beans but not lentils or garbanzos. Even at the health food restaurants in Berkeley I didn't have anything with lentils in it, even though they probably had them. Ok. I'll try it. I liked to try things. But all this sandwich had was plain lentils with yellow mustard on whole wheat. Not spiced up either. Plain. I'm not complaining. They shared their food with us. Thank you. It was just the beginning of this chapter but it was really a clue as to what to expect.

We didn't have anything to drink but they gave us a square of chocolate. The ride was refreshing out in the open air. I didn't see too much of the surrounding views because it was dark now and I just sat and looked up at the stars. The people spoke to one another but mostly sang. Looked like there were more guys than gals in the truck.

Looked a lot like this.

I asked where we were going. The one fella that did most of the talking said a farm near Forest Grove, Oregon. Ugh. Headed south but this might be cool for a while. Took less than two hours, so it wasn't a completely quick trip but we had food and a place to stay. 

When we got there we all piled out of the truck. Where were we going to sleep? "Well, the women's cabin is near the mess hall. The men sleep up the hill a bit." Huh, what? What? "Isn't there a place where we can sleep together?" "No. You need to go over to the women's cabin. All the women are there."

Weird. Ok. I'll try it. Off I went. All the gals were already in their bunks except for the couple that were traveling in the truck. It was a plain room with old wooden bunk beds. All that was left was a top bunk for me. I still had Zac and my bag of dry cat food. Up we jumped and thought "Ok. We'll get a nice sleep and check everything out in the morning."


No comments:

Post a Comment

20 Oh, take your time, don't live too fast Part 1

This is going to be a story about a personal challenge that I made good on. Now, I may repeat myself on some happenings in these stories. I&...