Pages

Friday, March 18, 2022

84 Well that's crummy

I was back to the professional panhandling scene. LBJ was working a temporary job. A lot of the people who donated into my tin were regulars along the street. I talked a bit here and there. Took walks now and then 'cause who likes standing in one spot too long. I wasn't lazy at all but I was enjoying this experience. How do I explain that it was innocent? 

I waved at people I knew across the street. I talked to passersby's about peace and what not. Talked about Zac and how cool animals are. Maybe someone stopped to tell me about something going on in a park. I was super friendly. I thought that was the way that the world was going to change... through personal peace and love.


So one nice sunny day a fellow came up to me and said "Hello. Hey I have some sandwiches. Would you like one?" "Uh ok." "They're in my van right there." I must have stopped smiling for a second. "It's ok. It's right there." It hadn't gotten to the point in humanity that you avoided contact out in the general public. I still don't... I greet strangers on the street and say hello, but I notice so many now that have a blank stare and avoid looking back let alone communicating. But I did take pause with this fellow for some reason.

They were good sandwiches from the deli. I think we had 7-up. He was asking about the panhandling and told him what it was like. I haven't forgotten what he looked like. He seemed a little nervous. He had slightly thinning hair combed over a bit. Light brown, maybe close to dark blonde. Round glasses. Moustache. A few years later it dawned on me that he looked a little like Steven Weed. Nobody knew who Steven Weed was in 1972. He also looked a little like R. Crumb. Maybe like a cross between Steven Weed and R. Crumb. I didn't know what R. Crumb looked like either in 1972. Just read the comics.


About halfway through the sandwich I hear this "I was wondering if you would like to go to my  house? I've been watching you and I would like to take some photos of you." As you've probably heard it wasn't unusual for people to go over someone's house or hook up in the 70's when they first met. But there was something about the "I've been watching you" part that made me stop eating the sandwich. Even if he didn't say that, I wasn't going to go over his house. "It's ok. I just live up the hill there." "I'll pay you."  Uh. I don't even think I said thanks for the sandwich. I dropped it, got up and went to the front and opened the passenger door and jumped out.


The moral of the story is that if it was R. Crumb he should have told me and I would have went. If it was Steven Weed... good. I never liked that wuss. You should have fought harder for your woman instead of running out that door. But maybe it was just a photographer. Nah. I think I escaped a serial killer. At least that's what my gut told me. Needless to say Zac and I left for the day. Never saw that white van again. Not a very thrilling story but I never forgot it for some reason.

P.S. People didn't even really know about serial killers till a few years later.



2 comments:

20 Oh, take your time, don't live too fast Part 1

This is going to be a story about a personal challenge that I made good on. Now, I may repeat myself on some happenings in these stories. I&...