Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2022

78 Get me to my room part 2

I went over to the Berkeley Free Clinic the next day and signed up. It was the same fella every day. Your standard looking activist radical of the time. Long black curly hair, beard and horn rimmed glasses. I stood on his line everyday. I think they figured they would know the location and personal habits of each panhandler. That way they could give them the side eye if the locked canister seemed a little light. I had to turn over my birth certificate as a security on the setup, them he gave me a license that I wore around my neck. Lots of people hit up Moe's Books, too many panhandlers already there. So I found a spot in front of a Food Co-op fairly close. It was a pretty good spot. Lots of leftie ladies in and out all day, always dropping a few coins.

So I stayed in the vicinity all that day and LBJ found me. I had to go turn in my coins. I don't remember amounts, but it was OK. I spoke to people throughout the day and learned a little bit. We always ate somehow. Used our money for a burger or something. Headed back to the hostel on the outskirts of town.

We could only use the couples room once during our three day stay. I've mentioned how sex was in the air back then and we were always finding a way or a place. The scheming was part of the fun. So tonight LBJ had an idea... I could could sneak into the men's dorm. Oh boy, was I a spacey hippie. I  said "But how? They'll be awake?" LBJ said to wait till midnight. People did get tired. A lot of the guys actually worked some pretty hard labor during the day. Neither of us wore watches but there were big clocks on the walls, like in schools.

I was on a lower bunk and all the gals were seriously knocked out. I just laid there waiting for midnight. Ok. I slipped out of there and tiptoed over to the other side. I barely opened the door and peaked in. Uh oh. Lots more bunks. But LBJ had a lower bunk too and could see me when I opened the door. He waved.

Yeah well, I walked on over there. Didn't see any movement or anything. I wanted to keep this on the sly. There were a lot of guys in there. I'd say at least over fifty individuals and I only knew one of them. I wasn't planning on causing any kind of commotion. I was sneaking.

What can I say? I got in there and we started, but I did want to be quiet. Well, obviously my clothes started to come off. Of course you can try with your clothes on, but that would be uncomfortable and makes it a little more confining. Ok quiet. I know I put my hand over LBJ's mouth a few times because "don't wake anyone up." Ssssssh. We were probably moving around a bit too. I know we were. Then LBJ tossed me on top. I said "Is anyone awake?" "They're sleeping." Excuse me for explaining this, but all my parts were flying around. No blanket. No clothes. I thought we were doing a good job of keeping this escapade on the down low.

Eventually we finished. You know it doesn't go on forever. So I quietly grabbed my clothes and tiptoed out of the room. All the gals were still sleeping. Slept like a log. Got up, cleaned up and dressed. Headed on out of the building. As I'm walking a couple of the guys walked passed me. "Thank you." "Thanks for last night."  I got that floaty feeling. But really, it was then that I knew my life was going to be a strange dream. I just felt out of body and thought "Wow. This is weird." I wasn't embarrassed or upset. I just wondered "What am I watching?" Another fella told me he about everything he saw. Hmm. This didn't go as planned. I know the naked hippie thing, but you usually know it when it's happening. Guess we were all stoned anyway.

One more night there and we had to figure out something else anyway. I didn't get worried about much. Lilies of the Field. The last few pages of that chapter happened later in the day, when we lined up to go in. Ok. Some guys saw me but when I went up there to sign my name I hear "Stay out of the men's dorm tonight. We heard all about it." Jesus. Apparently nearly everyone saw it and remained quiet. Where are we sleeping tomorrow night anyway?


No comments:

Post a Comment

20 Oh, take your time, don't live too fast Part 1

This is going to be a story about a personal challenge that I made good on. Now, I may repeat myself on some happenings in these stories. I&...