Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2021

61 Work away all your pain

I thought I remembered more from our visit to Norm's. Maybe just a little. South Side.

Similar. Norm's place was cleaner & no backyard.

I have no idea why everyone's family members were off somewhere. We didn't ask why everybody was gone. There was more trust of fellow human beings then. Easier to get along with people when you trusted them. Norm's brother was out of town so we took his room. Something. Remember the scene in the Blues Brothers in the hotel? The train by the window. Well, the L rode right by. We were on the second floor so it was about the same level. I mean right next to the bedroom we were in. Every time it went by it didn't just make a lot of noise, it shook the whole damn building.

 

Norm's place was the complete opposite of Phil's. Kind of seedy and rundown. But the neighborhood felt more alive. Lots of people on the streets. A mixture of storefronts and plenty of bright clothing on the people walking the street. It was 1972. But, we didn't spend a lot of time outside while we were there. Pretty sure we stayed with Norm about four days or so.


Norm's girlfriend was staying there. She was very nice. Kind of quiet, but I could be at times too. I remember the four of us got along really well. Spent a little time listening to music and laughing about the state of life. You could tell we were out of towners though. How do you describe mopey New Yorkers that spent a lot of time contemplating shit on the subway? We were a little "gothier."

In a way we were all so innocent. We wanted to hear and learn about the different ways people led their lives. You could watch movies, read a book or a newspaper, or experience it. When LBJ and I met people along the way a lot of time was spent listening.

Here's the thing though... we were at such ease with Norm and his girlfriend we spent a lot of time relaxing. After the first day we hardly left the room. Even with that train going by constantly, I don't think we stopped much. Maybe the hypnotic vibration of the train did a number on us? 🤣 Couldn't control ourselves.

Wondering about food? No problem. Norm's girlfriend was kind of a riot. She made us food and left it by the door. 🤣 Knock knock knock. "Hey. I made some food." 🤣 I guess every one was laid back and just enjoying themselves.

By the third or fourth day the weekend rolled around. Norm was off work. Knock, knock, knock. "Hey, let's go out today." Norm and his girlfriend wanted to go to a nearby park and throw a frisbee around. Believe it or not, we never did that before. Long Island hippies weren't big on it. That would interrupt listening to music and all that other stuff we did. I mean I went to the beach all the time, but I went in the water and body surfed the waves. I didn't throw a frisbee.

I remember the park. Not details, but the sights and sounds. Lots of music on transistor radios. Jim Croce was playing loud. Don't Mess Around With Jim. Green grass and dogs running around.

Lots of people. Actually pretty crowded. I think it was good we finally went outside into the air and sun. Norm was cool and was welcoming. But we figured it was time for us to hit the road again. We actually had a pretty great time after our first intro to Chicago.

Went back to Norm's, had a good dinner and actually slept. Norm was a real city dweller and was worried about us. He handed LBJ a switchblade for protection. They also gave us another sleeping bag so we didn't have to share. How about that. 💞



No comments:

Post a Comment

20 Oh, take your time, don't live too fast Part 1

This is going to be a story about a personal challenge that I made good on. Now, I may repeat myself on some happenings in these stories. I&...